Featuring David Newman Conducting The Varèse Sarabande Symphony Orchestra, Performing The Music of Composers Including Alan Silvestri, James Horner, Jerry Goldsmith, David Foster, Quincy Jones, Henry Mancini, Dave Grusin, John Barry, John Corigliano, Bruce Broughton, and Michael Kamen
(November 9, 2015– Los Angeles, CA) – Varèse Sarabande Records takes a look back at 1985, a historic year for film music with the release of 1985 AT THE MOVIES – featuring some of the most enduring themes from films including Witness (Maurice Jarre), Brazil (Michael Kamen), Legend (Jerry Goldmith), The Color Purple (Quincy Jones/arr. by John Williams), and Agnes of God (Georges Delerue). The label has created a video EPK about the making of this special recording at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgAB_DvUVFY.
1985 was a cultural lynchpin for a whole generation and its treasured films produced some of the most deeply melodic themes from the decade. We traveled through time in Back to the Future, hunted for treasure with The Goonies and hung out with friends in St. Elmo’s Fire. Music was always part of the adventure; the film scores of composers like James Horner, Henry Mancini, John Barry and Alan Silvestri, Bruce Broughton and Michael Kamen, instantly conjured up the characters we love from their movies.
Now 30 years later, music fans can re-experience the music from theses films and can celebrate the launch of a new film music symphony, the Varèse Sarabande Symphony, featuring an all-star assortment of the best musicians in Los Angeles, including musicians from the Los Angeles Philharmonic, LA Opera, Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra, Pacific Symphony, and the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra, alongside some of Hollywood’s most legendary session musicians, conducted by composer David Newman. The album was recorded on the lot of 20th Century Fox in April of 2015, on the Newman Scoring Stage, and was produced by the label’s Robert Townson, who also wrote the liner notes for the recording.
The album also features brilliant soloists, including flutist Sara Andon, violinists Belinda Broughton and Bruce Dukov, cellist Steve Erdody, pianist Mike Lang, saxophonist Dan Higgins and singers Bobbi Page and Suzanne Waters.
Previously only available in limited release as part of the BACK IN TIME…1985 AT THE MOVIES limited edition box set, 1985 AT THE MOVIES will be available in stores and online beginning December 4, 2015.
- Back To The Future – Music by Alan Silvestri
- The Goonies – Music by Dave Grusin
- St. Elmo’s Fire — Love Theme – Music by David Foster (featuring Mike Lang, piano and Dan Higgins, alto saxophone)
- Legend — Re-United – Music by Jerry Goldsmith, Lyrics by John Bettis (featuring Suzanne Waters, vocals)
- Return to Oz – Music by David Shire (featuring Bruce Dukov, violin and Steve Erdody, cello)
- Lifeforce – Music by Henry Mancini
- Revolution – Music by John Corigliano (featuring Sara Andon, flute)
- Cocoon – Music by James Horner
- A View To A Kill – Music by John Barry (arranged by Nic Raine, featuring Sara Andon, flute)
- The Color Purple – Music by Quincy Jones (arranged by John Williams, featuring Belinda Broughton, violin)
- Witness — Building The Barn – Music by Maurice Jarre
- Agnes of God – Music by Georges Delerue (featuring Sara Andon, flute)
- Silverado – Music by Bruce Broughton
- Out of Africa – Music by John Barry
- Brazil – Music by Michael Kamen (arranged by Christopher Lennertz, featuring Bobbi Page, vocals and Dan Higgins, alto saxophone)
- Rambo: First Blood Part II – Music by Jerry Goldsmith