MUSIC COMPOSED BY CRAIG ARMSTRONG
Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Available April 28, 2015
After his Academy Award® nominated film The Hunt (starring Mads Mikkelsen), Danish director Thomas Vinterberg adapted Thomas Hardy’s classic love story Far from the Madding Crowd for the big screen. Grammy award-winning composer Craig Armstrong was enlisted to compose the score for the film. On April 28, Sony Classical will release the original motion picture soundtrack recording of Far from the Madding Crowd.
In this eagerly awaited drama, Vinterberg has brought together a first class cast, including Academy Award nominee Carey Mulligan (Never Let Me Go, An Education, Drive), Golden Globe® nominee Michael Sheen (Kingdom of Heaven, Midnight in Paris, Frost/Nixon), Matthias Schoenaerts (Rust and Bone, Bullhead) and Tom Sturridge (On The Road). The film will be in theaters on May 1, 2015.
Far from the Madding Crowd tells the story of independent and headstrong Bathsheba Everdene (Carey Mulligan), who attracts three very different suitors: Gabriel Oak (Matthias Schoenaerts), a sheep farmer, captivated by her fetching willfulness; Frank Troy (Tom Sturridge), a handsome and reckless Sergeant; and William Boldwood (Michael Sheen), a prosperous and mature bachelor. This timeless story of Bathsheba’s choices and passions explores the nature of relationships and love – as well as the human ability to overcome hardships through resilience and perseverance.
Craig Armstrong’s score for Far from the Madding Crowd is as powerful as divertingly delightful. With warm strings and graceful orchestration, Armstrong showcases his finesse for strong, romantic themes and heartbreakingly beautiful composition. Featuring traditional British ballads, Far from the Madding Crowd is a diversified album which masterfully touches on human issues involving tradition, temptation, passion and love.
Armstrong is one of the most popular composers and arrangers in the film and music industry. Thanks to his emotionally charged and distinctive style, the Scottish composer has received rave reviews for scores for Baz Luhrmann’s Moulin Rouge! (for which he was awarded a Golden Globe) and The Great Gatsby, Ray, Love, Actually, World Trade Center and Elizabeth: The Golden Age. For the biopic Ray, Craig Armstrong won a Grammy® Award for Best Original Score in 2004.
Sony Music Masterworks comprises Masterworks, Sony Classical, OKeh, Portrait, Masterworks Broadway and Flying Buddha imprints. For email updates and information please visit http://www.SonyMasterworks.com.
01. Opening – Craig Armstrong
02. Jerusalem the Golden – Perf. by The Dorset Singers and Yeovil Chamber Choir
03. Corn Exchange – Craig Armstrong
04. The Great Misunderstanding – Craig Armstrong
05. Spring Sheep Dip – Craig Armstrong
06. Oak Returns – Craig Armstrong
07. Let No Man Steal Your Thyme – Perf. by Carey Mulligan and Michael Sheen
08. Never Been Kissed – Craig Armstrong
09. Hollow in the Ferns – Craig Armstrong
10. Bathsheba and Troy Wedding – Craig Armstrong
11. Dribbles of Brandy – Perf. by The Eliza Carthy Band with Saul Rose
12. Swiss Boy – Perf. by The Eliza Carthy Band with Saul Rose
13. Fanny and Troy – Craig Armstrong
14. Troy Swims Out – Craig Armstrong
15. O Come, O Come, Emmanuel – Perf. by The Dorset Singers and Yeovil Chamber Choir
16. Boldwood Variation – Craig Armstrong
17. Michael Turner’s Waltz – The Eliza Carthy Band
18. Jenny Lind Polka – Perf. by The Eliza Carthy Band with Saul Rose
19. Time Moves On – Craig Armstrong
20. Oak Leaves – Craig Armstrong
21. Bathsheba and Oak Unite – Craig Armstrong
22. End Credits – Craig Armstrong
23. Let No Man Steal Your Thyme – Per. by Carey Mulligan, arr. by Kate St. John & Neill MacColl
24. Far from the Madding Crowd Love Theme – Craig Armstrong