BuySoundtrax Records is proud to announce The Jerry Goldsmith Collection Vol. 1: The Rarities digitally available on June 5th and www.buysoundtrax.com and other soundtrack boutique retailers on June 19, 2012. The album features ‘new recordings of rarely heard originals, and fresh takes on Goldsmith classics,” as described in the liner notes by noted film music journalist Jon Burlingame.
Jerry Goldsmith was born in 1929 and as a child studied piano, composition and theory. After a stint taking classes in film composition taught by Miklós Rózsa at USC, he attended Los Angeles College. In 1950 Goldsmith was hired by CBS as a clerk typist for the music department. It was at CBS that he would get his start writing for television for several series, culminating with his first foray into The Twilight Zone, which he would revisit over 20 years later with the John Landis-directed feature length film.
In the early 60s Goldsmith moved more into the feature film realm, earning widespread acclaim for his score for the western Lonely Are the Brave and his first Academy Award nomination in 1962 with Freud. Throughout his long career, Goldsmith with be nominated 17 more times, for A Patch of Blue, The Sand Pebbles, Planet of the Apes, Patton, Papillon, Chinatown, The Wind and The Lion, The Omen – nominated for original song and earning the Award for original score – The Boys From Brazil, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Poltergeist, Under Fire, Hoosiers, Basic Instinct, L.A. Confidential, and Mulan. He would also earn 5 Emmy Awards, for The Red Pony, QB VII, Babe, Masada and Star Trek: Voyager. His credits also include beloved films and cult classics including Gremlins, Rudy, The Secret of N.I.M.H., First Blood, Total Recall, Basic Instinct, The Mummy, Logan’s Run, The Great Train Robbery, and Alien.
Jerry Goldsmith Vol. 1: The Rarities features 23 tracks of new recordings of some of Goldsmith’s rarely heard themes including a Dominik Hauser’s recording of the complete score for Seven Days in May, the unused theme for the modern crime thriller 2 Days in the Valley, “Comes The Night” from the rarely screened Sebastian, Chuck Cirino’s rendition of Goldsmith’s theme from Rio Conchos, arranger Joohyun Park’s take on “The Sentence” from Warlock, vocalist Katie Campbell’s interpretation of the theme from The Illustrated Man, and “If We Could Remember” from one of his final films The Sum of All Fears.
Burlingame wrote, “this collection of newly recorded Goldsmith gems reminds us — as if we needed reminding! — that Jerry Goldsmith was not just a fine composer. He was a brilliant one, always serving the movie but at the same time creating music that could live apart from its celluloid origins. There was no one else quite like him.”
1. JUDGE DREDD: Trailer (John Beal)
2. SEVEN DAYS IN MAY: Complete score (Dominik Hauser)
FILM NOIR SUITE
3. CHINATOWN: End Credits (Dominik Hauser & Roy Wiegand)
4. THE DETECTIVE: The Dark Song (Solo Piano) (Mark Northam)
5. SHAMUS: Main Title (Dominik Hauser)
6. TWO DAYS IN THE VALLEY: Main Theme (Dominik Hauser & Roy Wiegand)
7. THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER: Main Theme (2012 version) (Chaz Grossman)
8. SEBASTIAN: Comes The Night (Dominik Hauser)
9. THE VANISHING: No Coffee (End Credits) (Dominik Hauser)
10. THE SUM OF ALL FEARS: Remember (Dominik Hauser)
11. PATCH OF BLUE: Main Theme (Dominik Hauser)
12. THE SAND PEBBLES: Love Theme (Dominik Hauser)
13. PLAYERS: Love Theme (Solo Piano) (Mark Northam)
14. PAPILLON: Main Theme (Dominik Hauser)
THE WAY WEST
15. TOCCATA FOR SOLO GUITAR (Gregg Nestor)
16. RIO LOBO: Main Title (Gregg Nestor)
17. RIO CHONCOS: Main Title (Chuck Cirino)
18. HOLLISTER: BROTHERHOOD OF THE GUN: Main Theme (Dominik Hauser)
FLIGHTS OF FANTASY
19. WARLOCK: The Sentence (2011) (Joohyun Park)
20. PYSCHO 2: Main Theme (2011) (Joohyun Park)
21. THE OMEN: Love Theme (Dominik Hauser)
22. THE ILLUSTRATED MAN: Main Title (Dominik Hauser and Katie Campbell)
23. POLTERGEIST: Carol Ann’s Theme (Dominik Hauser and Katie Campbell)
The Jerry Goldsmith Collection Vol.1: The Rarities is available digitally since June 5th, available at www.buysoundtrax.com and other soundtrack retailers on June 19, 2012